Sunday, August 1, 2010

King sized space on a twin sized budget

If you recall, I recently was toying with the idea of a king size bed. With our new move, we needed another bed to join our family of furniture. And in order to join our family of furniture, you gotta be cheap...like rice and beans cheap. Or living off of one teacher salary cheap. Most king beds do not fit that category.

Some time ago my favorite people introduced me to an Alaskan mother who wasn't a crazy moose hunting, lipstick-wearing hockey mom like another Alaskan mother we all know. Ana is a gorgeous woman who knows her way around a saw and a screw gun like you wouldn't believe. She finds beautiful pieces of furniture from places like Pottery Barn and Crate and Barrel and turns them into EASY to build step-by-step plans. She has endless experience building and knows how to help you out. She even has the shopping list and cut list for every piece.

I have had her on my Google reader for a long time and about two weeks before our planned bed construction, she came out with this little beauty. We made a few adaptations: we weren't quite pumped about the chunky leg so we bought a stain quality 3 x 3 that we cut to 5 1/2 inches and stained to match the furniture to make our legs (5 in total--one in the middle for support). We also wanted to hide the box spring so we traded out the side rails for a 1x10. Justin went through the plan and re-drew it based on what we want. He made a clear list of our new cut list so we were ready to go and re-calculated how much wood we would need.

We (coughmecough) decided that we (coughmecough) wanted an upholstered bed and the other half of we is very trusting. Because of that, we bought linen at Hobby Lobby 40% off for a total of $60 and foam ALSO using the 40% off coupons for a total of $50. I bought $10 worth of fabric buttons and used scrap fabric to cover them. The wood and supplies cost around $140. We also had to purchase a saw, but I'm not including that in our costs because we've already used it to make two end tables! That brings us to a total of $260! For a king size, SOLID WOOD bed! Incredible!

Here's our step by step. A lot of these photos are taken from an iPhone, so forgive the poor quality!
The first thing we did was make our cuts. We don't have any fancy shop equipment so we used 3 cinder blocks and team work...AKA me standing on the wood to keep it steady. The speed square was our saving grace and the whole "measure twice cut once" thing was our motto. As we cut our wood, we marked on each piece where it belonged and it's length to keep everything easy. We were slightly concerned that our bed wouldn't fit through our door (it does, phew) so we built it in our bedroom. We used a sheet to protect our floor until we got to the point that it was upholstered. We first built the box and attached the center support using wood glue and 2.5 inch wood screws. Be sure to put as much pressure as you can on the drill--stripped screws are a BEAST. We held our breath and checked for square and it was perfect!
My cute husband feeling very manly and victorious at this point.
I forgot to take a picture of us uphosltering the bed but here is a close up of the finished product. I took 1 inch foam (cheaper than what I used on the head board) and cut it exactly to size. I attached it using spray adhesive to one side. We actually stood the bed up on its end and worked on a ladder. After that, I covered it in batting (purchased cheaply at Hobby Lobby) and attached that with a load of staples. Finally, I cut my fabric using 5 inches excess as my rule to size. I bought 6 yards of upholstery fabric (after a lot of thought and calculations--keep in mind interior design fabric is wider than traditional bolts) which was the PERFECT amount in the end. Justin and I worked together to pull on either side and staple moving from the center of the rail outwards. In the end, we realized we hadn't pulled tight enough and had to go back through and restaple. It sounds intense but all we did was pull tighter, fold the excess, and staple it down. If my bed ever needs to go through a metal detector, we're in trouble...
We continued all around the bed in the same manner and left the backside bare. After that, we measured down and attached our cleats, making sure to check for level frequently. Since we are using a boxspring, we decided we could do less slats than she recommended (hers was for a mattress only bed) and only cut six. We screwed these in place to the side cleats. At this point we were feeling pretty darn good about ourselves.

...and then we started the headboard. Initially, I wanted to attach the headboard to the bed. Because of that, it would have to be heafty. We designed our own headboard based on one Ana made for a kid sized bed (mistake #1). As we put it together, we could already tell it was going to be a behemith of a piece, but we pressed on. And then the stripped screws started their attack (mistake #2). There were very unkind words spoken between us, the drill, and the screws that refused to cooperate. There may have even been a few unkind words spoken between just us...maybe. We couldn't even carry the headboard two feet without practically dying. We knew that this would not work and were too tired to figure anything else out at the time. So we took a break for the night.
The next day, we decided to scratch our headboard and just make a plywood version that we would hang on the wall. We detached one of the pieces of plywood from our offensive lineman-sized headboard. I did the exact same thing as the bed to upholster the headboard, except I used 2 inch foam instead of 1 inch foam. Most websites I read recommended 3 inch foam, but that was WAY too expensive and it wasn't sold at Hobby Lobby. I was counting on the 40% off coupon, so I nixed that idea. In the end, I don't miss that extra inch at all. Before I attached the foam, I measured and drilled the holes for my tufts. After the fabric was attached, I tufted the headboard using a tufting needle, aka a middle eastern torture tool. The thing is at least a foot long. Crazy. But it made my life much easier. Justin pushed in on the button to the appropriate depth while I tied the thread (I used the thickest thread I could find) around a brad (headless nail) on the other side of the headboard.
Final step: attach legs. Press down on the drill HARD so the lovely screws don't strip. The key here is to make sure that the legs are NOT resting on the corner braces but are using the corners of the side rails for support.

We found a Sealy Posturepedic mattress we liked at Sam's Club (you can even lay on them in the store!) for cheap (and don't worry, I researched it online and it is very good quality). We topped it off with a down comforter also from Sam's for $70 (what?!) and a West Elm duvet cover for $28 (bought using gift cards and Designing Dollars from West Elm).Put it all together and you get...drumroll...
I seriously love this bed. It's big and grand. I've haven't slept this well since I was sleeping in the middle of a queen bed in college. The bed is so sturdy that you can roll and it doesn't shift at all. Both of us are more rested than we've been in a long time. We don't ever wake each other up and we never have to say "your knee is in my face!" Getting a king size bed was actually the first piece of marriage advice I ever got...and I have already passed it on to tons of couples. We can still cuddle at night...but then we roll over the mile of space between our "sides" and sleep like babies.

And we sleep even more soundly knowing that we saved for this purchase, put our sweat into it, and walked away with a stunning product for a stunning steal!

No comments: